This site is a tribute to all that is cool in the world. Not just stuff we think is cool, but lots of original contributions by you. This is where you get to point out some of the coolest stuff, whether it is a person like Terry Fator, a place like Hanalei Kuaui or a gadget like the iPhone. We encourage you to submit cool stuff. We prefer to see pictures or videos, but if all you have is a story, send it in! If it’s good quality and really cool, we’ll post it.
The holiday season is here, which means shopping season for many. Not only is it the season for giving, but it is also the season for deals and exclusive gift sets. With all of this shopping suddenly added to your to-do list, there’s also the concern for overspending and consumer protection.
When you shop with pre-paid debit cards, you can protect yourself and set a firm budget.
How It Works
Pre-paid cards work in a similar way to debit and credit cards. You pre-load the card with a chosen amount of money. Many cards are re-loadable which make pre-paid cards a useful budgeting tool as well. You can buy pre-paid cards at many convenience and grocery stores, though you can’t always be sure of their quality.
Some pre-paid cards allow you to make an ATM cash withdraw, as well. Be sure to read the terms and conditions for both the card company and the bank which you plan to withdraw from for any fees or rules.
Pre-paid cards eliminate the need to qualify for a bank account. Many people who suffer from having poor credit or a simple inability to balance a bank account benefit from using pre-paid cards. You cannot spend more than you have so there is no need for a credit check or overdraft protection.
Pre-paid cards, especially Green Dot Credit Card also make a great alternative to cash. This limits the amount lost if a card is ever stolen. They also offer consumer protection for online shopping. You are able to order online without disclosing any personal banking information.
Pre-paid cards are also accepted worldwide. Today you need a credit card to reserve a hotel or book a flight or car. You can use pre-paid cards for all of these things which make them great for travel. They also make great gifts. If you have family out of the country or just up the road, you make the initial monetary load onto the card and give it as a gift. This allows the recipient to pick out what they want, and continue using the card as they choose.
These cards are also a wonderful tool for online bill-pay. With the option of manually loading funds or direct deposit, you can have a card specifically for paying your bills. This can ensure that your bills are paid in full and on time.
With so many advantages and uses for pre-paid cards, you are guaranteed to shop safer and smarter all year around. Not only will you be able to set a firm budget but you can shop confidently with the level of consumer protection the cards have to offer.
What exactly is tungsten and what is it used for? It’s a question that many people might not have the answer to.
As for what tungsten is, it is an extremely hard metal with a strong density, stronger than lead and as strong as gold. It is often used when strength and durability are needed.
So what do people use tungsten for? You might be surprised to find out that some everyday items, as well as rather important ones, are made from tungsten.
- Weights - If you’re ever on a yacht in the middle of the ocean or sitting at home watching NASCAR and Formula One race cars, then chances are you’re dealing with tungsten and don’t even know it. Thanks to the dense weight of tungsten, it makes for a great ballast keel for a yacht as well as ballast in race cars. Anytime a high-density weight is needed, you can bet someone is using tungsten.
- Darts - You ever notice how some darts weigh more than others? Chances are the heavier ones include tungsten. Many darts will be an 80/20 mixture of tungsten and nickel, which provide longer-lasting darts and are said to help with tighter groupings on the dartboard. Beginners usually don’t use them since they’re still working on getting those groupings down, but most if not all experienced dart throwers will rely on darts with tungsten in them.
- Fishing Lures – Along with being chip-resistant, tungsten fishing lures and weights are more sensitive than lead ones which make it easier to get the lure where you want it and get it under water quicker. It’s also better for the environment than lead. Fishing moves along a lot quicker with tungsten jigs and lures as everything gets into place quicker, meaning the fish will start biting sooner.
- Violin or Cello Strings – Go to any orchestra concert and chances are the violinists and cellists are using tungsten strings. Many cello sets often include a C string that sags and wears over time. A tungsten string is much more durable and provides great power, depth and base.
- Rings - Many men’s wedding rings are made of tungsten because of its durability, strength, and resistance to wear and tear which means they work metaphorically as well. Tungsten rings are nearly indestructible and will maintain their look and feel for an extremely long time. Here is a Tungsten World Pinterest Contest where you can win tungsten jewelry.
Learn more about Tungsten Forever™ and tungsten rings.
From the looks of the iTunes store, it seems like everyone and their mother suddenly thinks they’re an iPhone app developer. New apps are always rolling out!
So what does it take to create the next app to go mainstream? A successful iPhone app developer has many positive attributes. If your dream is to come up with the next big thing, here are five characteristics you’ll need to possess in order to make this a reality.
Skills – Of course, knowledge of just how to develop an iPhone app helps, right? Even skilled programmers will probably need to learn new programming language, so an understanding of the work that goes into taking the idea in your head and translating it to an app for mass use.
An Eye For What’s Missing – So you know how to program a new iPhone app. Now your task is to ask yourself what’s missing in the vast field of available apps in the iTunes store. Would your app make life easier? More fun? Would you want to teach people something, or help them be more organized? This is what you need to have an eye for. See what’s out there and figure out how to fill the gap.
Creativity – A creative mind is important when it comes to any sort of development. There are so many apps out there, so many versions of games, newsfeeds and other helpful ideas. How can you present yours in a way that hasn’t been seen before? Being able to think outside the box will be extremely helpful here.
Patience – Even when you learn the new programming language you’ll need, developing an app won’t be a 1-2-3 process. You’ll most likely end up going through a lot of trial and error in order to achieve success. Once your app is developed, you’ll also need to be patient while waiting through the approval process. There’s bound to be a waiting game when the time comes for your app to be evaluated.
A Healthy Dose of Confidence – So let’s say your app gets approved and is out in front of the public. Congratulations! Now what? What comes now is your ability to get out there and hustle, making sure that your app hits the eyes of every iPhone owner. Have confidence in your work and in your worth, and market yourself in every way possible. No one will buy it if no one knows about it, right?
Online dating isn’t just for a computer system. In fact, some of the very best ways to meet new people can be done while away from a desktop or laptop. With the onset of mobile devices and applications, there are some rather interesting and cool online dating applications designed to completely help out individuals looking to find someone special. These applications are generally free to use, and instantly give a connection to hundreds, if not thousands of locals looking to meet.
One such online dating application that has proven popular and is changing the online dating world is called “SpeedDate.” All someone needs to do is open the application and create a simple profile. This includes listing the profile name, hobbies and any other information the person wishes to have others know about themselves. Once down, the dater can go onto the “Start Chat” section. Here, they can send other users a message, start up a conversation, and receive chat invitations of their own. It is all the individuals online in the area of their choice, similar to the speed dating in-person version, where people are introduced to a particular individual and only have a few minutes to talk, share a story, and find common ground in order to hit it off. Here, on the SpeedDate application, someone can talk for as long as they please, and the person can easily decide to not talk to their date anymore either. It is a fun way to get to know new people, check out pictures and just talk to individuals. Even if someone doesn’t actually find a date, it is a fun way to pass the time and just meet new individuals.
The SpeedDate online dating application is an application that is able to stand on its own, without the support of other websites and computer profiles. This is different from many other popular online date applications, as many of these require the individual to already have an account, such as the applications through eHarmony and OKCupid. These applications do work on their own, but the full services are found on the computer system. The apps do allow for easy navigation while away from a computer though, so should someone want to connect back to an individual they met online, they can easily send out a message or upload images captured with the cell phone or tablet.
When it comes to the world of dating, it is proving more and more difficult to meet new people in person with how hectic life can become. This is why online dating is a fantastic way to make a connection and possibly start a relationship. And with mobile applications, this process is becoming even easier for everyone.
Home safes: they aren’t just for jewelry anymore. Or cash. Or small pets (note: PLEASE DON’T PUT YOUR PETS IN A SAFE). People are finding more and more…let’s say, “creative” uses for them. Here’s a list of the top five weirdest things we’ve heard of people keeping in their home safes.*
5. Nothing. Seriously—just nothing. Nothing at all. That’s what one user on Yahoo Answers suggests, anyway: setting up an inexpensive home safe in a particularly obvious part of your dwelling, to serve as a decoy for any would be robbers. The thieves grab the safe, and leave your valuables—hidden and scattered in various other parts of your house—behind. …Of course, this only works for lazy robbers who just go straight for the safe and don’t bother looking for anything else. We make no guarantees that this is typically the case.
4. Guns. This actually makes sense, if you think about it—fire and guns don’t go well together, and in the case of a home emergency, you wouldn’t want the additional concern of firearms…well, firing off. A number of gun collectors buy lock boxes that are specifically made to hold their preciouses, although in a pinch, many standard home safes will work just as well. But do your research before putting any money down; you wouldn’t want to end up with a safe that takes in enough heat to set off your ammo.
3. Beanie Baby Cards and Arrowheads. As one poster on Arrowheadology puts it, “I’m getting nervous [about] putting so many ‘nicer’ points up on the wall in display cases,” for fear that someone might be tempted to pilfer them. Everyone has a collection, and everyone has certain pieces from that collection that are worth more than others. It’s not the worst idea in the world to try to secure them. (The Beanie Baby cards idea comes from personal experience. My wife keeps a collection of them—not the dolls themselves, mind you, but trading cards with pictures of the dolls—inside one of our own home safes.)
2. A “Prepper” Kit. This handy tip comes to us from the writers of Modern Survival Blog, who suggest that home safes are the perfect place to keep items such as band-aids, bottles of water, batteries, and other things you’d need to keep on hand in order to ensure your survival during the apocalypse. Just make sure it’s not an electronic safe dependent on a wall outlet—if most of the planet’s been destroyed by freak weather storms, social unrest or the living dead, there’s a good chance that your power is out, too.
1. Other, Smaller Safes. I swear I’m not making this up. I have a friend who, inside her safe—keeps another safe, with its own, separate combination. Inside that safe is a smaller box with a lock and key, and inside that is her most valuable jewelry: an heirloom diamond bracelet from her grandmother. It sounds like a goofy Matryoshka doll-style approach to home security, but it works; it would take quite an enterprising thief to get through all those layers of protection.
* Or, as it turns out, freezers. While researching this article, I also found a comments thread on biblemoneymatters.com which suggest that, if you don’t have any home safes, you should consider putting all your most important documents “in a ziplock bag in your freezer.” This is perhaps ill-advised, as 1) most freezers do not, by default, have locks, and 2) if your power goes out, your food-stuffs might melt all over the title to your car.
Some people have to have the newest devices the second they are on the market. While this may satisfy the early adopter’s craving, it can be frustrating waiting for the rest of the world to catch up. Cable TV has high tech options that can make the most of those new gadgets.
Cable TV offers the opportunity to see many favorite channels in high definition, at no extra cost to customers. Some cable companies are also offering the ability to watch shows and movies in 3D, an option most satellite companies don’t have yet. Make the most of HD and 3D televisions with programs shown the way they are meant to be seen.
Androids, iPads, and windows phones have capabilities that can’t always be used. With cable TV, you can make smart phones and tablets realize more of their potential. Most cable companies allow you to view programming on these devices. You can also program your television and even use your device as another remote. This can make your devices useful, fun and a great way to pass the time when you are waiting at the doctor’s office.
There are cable companies high quality streaming of television shows and offer a wide selection of channels. Research the different offerings to find the one that suits you the best when it comes to Internet and streaming choices.
The ability to watch movies is becoming more flexible. It is no longer a decision between blu ray and cd, it is the versatility available. The ability to watch a movie on your TV, your desktop, and your smartphone is expected, not the exception.
In order to watch streaming TV and movies on tablet devices, you need to have a high speed Internet connection. Satellite Internet doesn’t offer this, and neither does DSL. Cable TV offers the ability to have Internet speeds fast enough to deliver the quality you want. The ability to watch shows without buffering is worth it for many early adopters.
With all of these different options available, those who like to purchase high tech gadgets have a way to make the most out of their devices. Another option that cable TV offers is linking your devices together. Not only can you start watching a movie in one room and continue it in another, you can start watching a television show at home and finish it on the bus ride to work.
Continuity, flexibility, convenience and innovation are some of the benefits you can enjoy with cable TV that offer television services can’t offer. And unlike many beta testing devices, this option doesn’t have as many kinks to work out.
You spend a lot of money for your high tech devices. The fact that you can’t watch your favorite shows in HD or use your smart phone the way you want to can be very frustrating. While cable TV can’t fix all of your problems, it can help you get more enjoyment out of some of those gadgets. Don’t waste your time and your money thinking that you have to buy the latest device only to wait for other services to catch up. Research cable TV options to find the one that fits your lifestyle, budget, and android tablet and watch Eureka the way it is meant to be seen, in HD on your new smart TV or streaming on your iPad.