What exactly is tungsten and what is it used for? It’s a question that many people might not have the answer to.
As for what tungsten is, it is an extremely hard metal with a strong density, stronger than lead and as strong as gold. It is often used when strength and durability are needed.
So what do people use tungsten for? You might be surprised to find out that some everyday items, as well as rather important ones, are made from tungsten.
- Weights - If you’re ever on a yacht in the middle of the ocean or sitting at home watching NASCAR and Formula One race cars, then chances are you’re dealing with tungsten and don’t even know it. Thanks to the dense weight of tungsten, it makes for a great ballast keel for a yacht as well as ballast in race cars. Anytime a high-density weight is needed, you can bet someone is using tungsten.
- Darts - You ever notice how some darts weigh more than others? Chances are the heavier ones include tungsten. Many darts will be an 80/20 mixture of tungsten and nickel, which provide longer-lasting darts and are said to help with tighter groupings on the dartboard. Beginners usually don’t use them since they’re still working on getting those groupings down, but most if not all experienced dart throwers will rely on darts with tungsten in them.
- Fishing Lures – Along with being chip-resistant, tungsten fishing lures and weights are more sensitive than lead ones which make it easier to get the lure where you want it and get it under water quicker. It’s also better for the environment than lead. Fishing moves along a lot quicker with tungsten jigs and lures as everything gets into place quicker, meaning the fish will start biting sooner.
- Violin or Cello Strings – Go to any orchestra concert and chances are the violinists and cellists are using tungsten strings. Many cello sets often include a C string that sags and wears over time. A tungsten string is much more durable and provides great power, depth and base.
- Rings - Many men’s wedding rings are made of tungsten because of its durability, strength, and resistance to wear and tear which means they work metaphorically as well. Tungsten rings are nearly indestructible and will maintain their look and feel for an extremely long time. Here is a Tungsten World Pinterest Contest where you can win tungsten jewelry.
Learn more about Tungsten Forever™ and tungsten rings.
Click a Star to Rate This Cool Post: