One of the most overlooked San Francisco attractions is an arcade museum called Musee Mecanique. It’s odd that this attraction is often left out of the guidebooks because it’s located close to many of the city’s more famous attractions and it is probably the best thing to do in the area.
Musee Mecanique is a museum which is filled with old arcade games. Some of the reasons that this is one of the best things to do in San Francisco include:
- It’s free / cheap. It’s free to go into this museum and to walk around. If you want to play the games then you need to pay for that but it’s cheaper than most arcades since these old games usually only cost one or two quarters each.
- Great location. This attraction is located right at Fisherman’s Wharf. You’re already going to be seeing attractions in the area so why miss it? Walk out the back doors and you’ll be right on the water where you can see the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island and a historic submarine.
- History comes alive. Many of the games here date back to the early twentieth century. It’s neat to see what they thought was naughty and funny back then. There’s also a Laughing Sal here which is a rather creepy laughing woman game that was part of many of the old boardwalks in California years ago.
- There are photobooths. In addition to games you can take funny pictures at the photobooths here.
- Fun for all ages. There really is something for everyone at this attraction. Why would you skip it?
Sure there are a lot of stereotypical things to see in this part of San Francisco but go for the unusual and check out Musee Mecanique. You won’t regret it!
Click a Star to Rate This Cool Post: